Chicken Pot Pie
Author: LaBranda Maners
Course: Entree, Main
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, cooked and pulled
- 1 cup diced carrots
- cup frozen green peas
- cup frozen cut green beans
- cup sliced celery
- cup butter
- cup chopped onion
- cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- teaspoon black pepper
- teaspoon celery seed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- cup milk
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts, thawed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and pre-bake one of the crusts in a 9-inch pie pan until golden brown, making sure to pierce the crust with a fork.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, lightly sauté carrots in 1 tbls. butter. Add stock and boil for 10-15 minutes, until slightly tender. Remove from heat, drain (reserving cooking liquid) and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan over medium heat, cook onions and celery in remaining butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in reserved cooking liquid and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together cooked chicken, frozen vegetables, carrots, and thickened cooking liquid. At this point taste mixture and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Add mixture to pre-baked pie crust. Cover with unbaked top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Form excess dough into a ball, roll it out and cut into shapes to decorate top of crust if desired.
- Brush beaten egg white over entire crust. If you wish to add cutout shapes, place them on top of the brushed crust, making sure to also brush the top of the cutouts.
- Make 4 small slits in the top of the pie to allow steam to escape and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until top is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.